You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘handmade’ tag.
Just a couple weeks back much of the Midwest was engulfed in what was dubbed the “polar vortex”. With temperatures dipping down as far as negative 19 in Chicago-land, it was more important than ever to layer up to keep warm. And that’s exactly what I had to do along with millions of other folks. Slipping into layer upon layer of tights, leggings and socks, it suddenly hit me – I need some old-fashioned legwarmers! So I grabbed an old sweater and got to crafting. Within twenty minutes I was cozied up and ready to hit the great and frigid outdoors.
If you’ve been battling to keep your legs warm this season – give this easy tutorial a try! All you need is a pair of scissors, needle, thread and a chunky knit sweater. If you have any mismatched buttons lying around grab those too for added embellishment. In just a half hour or less you’ll be on your way to a toastier, and more eco-chic you!
- Pick out a vintage or gently used sweater that you’d like to transform.
- Cut off both sleeves – leaving the original seams on the torso. Save the extra fabric to make a pillow or skirt.
- Roll the raw edge until you have a double fold.
- Grab your needle and thread to hem the fold. Start with two regular loop stitches.
- After making the second, pull your needle through the stitch’s loop.
- Pull taught and move on to the next stitch, repeating the process. This is called the “lock stitch” method.
- Grab a handful of mismatched buttons.
- Sew the first button onto the original sleeve hem – not the lock-stitched one you just created.
- Add more buttons and repeat on other legwarmer.
And there you have it! In just a handful of minutes you’ll find yourself donning an adorable and toasty pair of hand-crafted legwarmers! Layer them over a pair of leggings and tall boots or transform your favorite flats into winter-ready apparel. Should your one-of-a-kind accessories get dirty, simply hand wash them in the sink with your favorite eco-safe detergent and set them out to dry.
This is a Pierogi Picnic first!
Starting on Sunday, January 12th through Saturday, January 18th, we’ll be holding a BOGO Sale in the Pierogi Picnic Etsy shop! Not familiar with the term? It means Buy One Get One Free! That’s right. For every item you purchase you can add a second item to the cart for free!
Have we lost our minds?! How could we be offering such a good deal? Here’s our reasoning: It’s the New Year and we have a lot of old designs that we’d love to send along to permanent homes to make way for the Spring collection. So by participating in the BOGO sale you’re actually doing us a favor!
Sale terms: To qualify all purchases must be made between 1/12-1/18. The second item must be chosen from the designated BOGO category within the Pierogi Picnic Etsy shop and the buyer must complete the transaction as normal. Once we see your purchase come through – we’ll refund you for the BOGO item – and wallah! You’ll be on your way to handmade nirvana.
Questions about the sale? Send us an email! firstname.lastname@example.org
With half of the nation in a deep freeze this week – I thought it appropriate to bring you a collection of goodies that will having you feeling warm and toasty in no time!
These beautifully crafted items were all hand-selected by me to help you think cozy thoughts in these blistering winter temps. So stop what you’re doing, grab a warm beverage, and explore the sites of these talented artisans. I guarantee that you’ll like what you find!
p.s. If you’re already gift-hunting for Valentine’s Day – this collection should give you some great ideas!
- Handmade Boots by Rita J Felt
- Warm Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub by Blackberry Ranch
- Couples Hand-Holding Mitten by With Love From Emma
- Knitted Ear Warmers by Yes Jess
- Organic Fair Trade Drinking Chocolate by Flying Bird Botanicals
- Goat’s Milk, Cocoa Butter, Oatmeal Bath Bombs by Kissmibella
- Winter Scenery Art Print by Malobi
- Heart Knit Boot Cuffs by Senur Sasa
- Whipped Shea, Mango and Cocoa Butter by Fatty’s Soap Company
- Knit Hand Muff by Ovinity
- Spicy Chocolate Truffles by Epic Edibles
- Minimalist Winter Wall Decor by Raceytay
- Rose Vanilla Cuticle Cream by Swamp Angel
- Knitted Cosby Skirt by Pierogi Picnic
- Scalloped Fingerless Gloves by Cookieletta
- Pocket Hand Warmers by Worme Wool
If you’ve found an item in the Etsy shop that just made you swoon – and you know it would make a great present for someone special – consider scooping them up a digital certificate instead of hustling for express shipping. This way you can still get them what you want and you won’t have to show up empty handed on Christmas!
Happy last-minute shopping!
With Christmas nine days away – there’s still time to gather up a few more handmade goodies for that very special someone. To help inspire you in your shopping quest, I’ve gathered some of my very favorite Etsy items into a list for you to sneak a peek at.
Each of these one-of-a-kind pieces will delight even the choosiest of gift recipients. From housewares and jewelry to bath products and lingerie, hopefully you’ll find something that is just right for the last person on your list. If you see something that catches your eye – be sure to scoop it up today so you can still make the USPS shipping deadline.
Remember, when you shop handmade, you’re supporting an individual rather than a large corporation. So be sure to include at least a few unique artisan creations under your Christmas tree!
Happy handmade shopping!
Pulling together some of my favorite handmade Pierogi Picnic items, which are all ready to ship, I’ve compiled a wonderful collection of creations that will satiate even the most demanding of tastes. Check out my suggestions below, or check out more ideas in the Pierogi Picnic Etsy store here.
Sweet & Low Skirt midi hand stenciled peek a boo print
Never Neverland Tunic Dress limited edition design
Ms Spring Dress re-tailored vintage shirt dress
Eye Catching Dress revamped vintage frock that will steal the scene
Eye on You vintage flutter top
Emerald City Dress strappy revamped vintage number
Night Shift Dress cotton upcycled fabrics
Easy Breezy Shirt vintage textiles and charm
Who doesn’t love a dapper looking gent?! This new incarnation of the classic “Perfect Gent” Pierogi Picnic bow tie design has a new texture and feel, making it even easier to pair with a guy’s everyday wardrobe. Handmade using sweatshirt fabric scraps, the “Perfect Gent” bow ties have a solid structure, soft feel, and clip on back, making it a fast way to add a dash of gentlemanly charm to any outfit. Coming in a variety of sizes, it makes a fantastic stocking stuffer too! Check out the full link of “Perfect Gent” bow ties here.